You have heard the old adage, “An apple a day, keeps the dentist away.” Well, the actuality is that it could be true. The easiest way that parents can prevent tooth decay in children is to offer healthy snack alternatives to their children. Healthy snacks include apples, carrots and other naturally sweet foods.
If children consume sugary snacks, they should brush their teeth and rinse them with water. In a pinch, it is much better to eat a piece of fruit, such as an apple, so they can clean the surfaces of their teeth and gums. Sticky or chewy snacks, such as gummy candies and caramels, will stick to the teeth, eventually attacking the tooth enamel and leading to tooth decay.
Apples have properties unlike any other fruit, and throughout time, its benefits have been proven time and time again. There are numerous benefits to eating an apple a day. Here are 9 reasons eating apples are beneficial for helping you not only take care of your and your children’s teeth, but also improve their overall health.
- Apples provide a good supply of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is known to boost the immune system. Those who have difficulty healing, suffer from bleeding gums and bruise more easily.
- Rich in flavonoid, apples help prevent coronary heart disease and cardiovascular disease. Flavonoids have antioxidant effects, thus Dentists recommend eating apples.
- A regular-sized apple contains between 70 to 100 calories, which has about ¼ the calories found in candy. And candy is proven to cause damage to your teeth, particularly chocolate, which damages teeth enamel.
- Apples can help prevent cancers, such as prostate cancer, colon cancer and women’s breast cancer.
- Apples also contain phenols, which can help your cholesterol by increasing good cholesterol and decreasing bad cholesterol.
- Tooth decay can seriously damage teeth, but the juices in apples are filled with properties that can kill as much as 80% of bacteria.
- Apples have also been show to protect your brain from brain disease because they contain phytonutrients, which have been proven effective in preventing Parkinsonism and Alzheimer’s as well as other neurodegenerative disease.
- People who consume 5 or more apples weekly have a lower occurrence of respiratory issues, such as asthma.
- Not all apples are the same, so they come in different flavors and colors. They provide you a tasty snack while giving numerous health benefits.
Regardless of which kind of apple you prefer, a yellow apple, red apple or green apple, you will get all of these benefits rolled into one low-calorie snack. If you are in a situation where you can’t brush your teeth, eating an apple can help clean off the residue while providing you with a healthy, tasty treat.
Research shows that the average person consumes 20 pounds of apples per year. Eating more apples will help increase the benefits for your teeth and your overall health. There is bound to be an apple that has a flavor you will enjoy.
So there you have it, an apple a day can help keep the dentist away. Consider an apple for your next snack.
What are your thoughts? If you have a picky eater at home, how do you get them to eat healthier snacks and meals? Comment your thoughts and input below!